They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and what better a way to break one's fast than with a wholesome granola sprinkled over some natural yogurt? That's one of my favourite breakfasts anyway, and my partner and children have both cottoned on as well. Shop bought granola is expensive and frankly, they're a bit stingy on the good bits like the juicy raisins and whole nuts. I found what fruit and nuts that they did have were right at the top of the box, so by the time you get to the bottom it was slim pickings through the powdered remains. Have you looked at the sugar and fat content of most shop bought cereals? Truly shocking.
Try this. You'll love it, honest. If you're wanting it a little sweeter you could always serve it over some fruit compote or up the quantity of muscovado.
The dregs (you know, the bits leftover once all the raisins and nuts are gone and you don't really want to eat seedy oats for your breakfast) make a wicked apple crumble topping.
Homemade Wholesome Granola
Full of natural goodness; a perfect breakfast granola.
- 225 grams jumbo oats
- 2 tbsp linseeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 45 grams whole unsalted cashews
- 45 grams whole unsalted almonds
- 100 grams raisins or dried mixed fruit & berries
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 2 heaped tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
1. Preheat oven to 140 C2. Mix together oats, linseeds, sesame seeds and nuts.3. Heat together sunflower oil, honey, sugar and lemon juice in a pan until melted and thoroughly mixed. Do not allow to boil.4. Take off the heat and add all the remaining ingredients except for the raisins.5. Stir until evenly coated and spread out on a baking tray.6. Bake for 40 minutes, or until toasted and golden. Check and stir every 10 minutes.7. When toasted remove from the oven, transfer to a bowl and stir in the raisins.8. Store in an airtight container. Will keep for 2 weeks.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 15 servings
Nutrition facts have been determined using the Calorie Count recipe analyzer.
This recipe has been included in Javelin Warrior's Made with Love, Mondays recipe round up of from-scratch recipes.